Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Denise's Poppy Seed Cake

Carrying on with recipes from my friend Lauren's family, I'm sharing her mom Denise's Poppy Seed Cake recipe.  Lauren and I met during our first week as freshman at Texas A&M University and we've pretty much never been apart since, building what is now a wonderful friendship with lots of stories to tell - many of which I can't tell my mother.  Over the past 13 years that I've known Lauren and her family, I've never had anything Denise made that I didn't love.  My very favorite thing she makes is her potato salad.  But, this cake comes in a close second and is good pretty much anytime of day - including for breakfast!

Denise's Poppy Seed Cake

1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Cake mix
1/2 cup sugar (baking Splenda works also)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 8oz. container sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
3 tbsp. poppy seeds

Mix well the cake mix, sugar, oil, sour cream, and vanilla.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until batter is smooth.  Fold in poppy seeds.  Pour into a well greased (Crisco) and sugared Bundt pan.  (The sugared Bundt pan makes all the difference.)  Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.  You can sprinkle powdered sugar on the top for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment